Many people mistake their own fleshly desires for the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Those who often say, “God told me…” are susceptible to subjects feelings and emotions. And the only guy more dangerous in the church than the guy who says, “God told me…” is the guy who says, “God told me to tell you…”.
Do I believe God still speaks? Absolutely! But not in a revelatory sense. God is not giving special revelation to special spiritual people. Those who think they have special revelation are trying to use spiritual intimidation to gain power. The Spirit of God simply prompts us to obey what God has already revealed in His written Word.
How can you be certain that you are being prompted by the Holy Spirit? The best way is to confirm it with a passage from the Word of God. The Spirit of God never conflicts with the Word of God. In fact, the Spirit of God inspired the Word of God and illuminates the Word of God to our minds as we read it. The further you move from the Word of God the less certain you can be you have been prompted by the Spirit of God.
I made a quick list of all the spiritual promptings I could remember receiving from God’s Spirit last week. After I made the list I realized that every one of them could be confirm by something I had previously read in Scripture.
- Get out of bed. Psalm 127:2
- Go to bed. Proverbs 6:9-10, 20:13
- Make the bed. Matthew 23:11
- Write that “Thank you” note. Phil. 1:3
- Tell your wife you love her. Eph. 5:33
- Snuggle with your kids. Eph. 6:4
- Pray for your mom. James 5:15
- Slow down. 1Peter 2:13-16
- Don’t eat that. Proverbs 23:21
- Don’t buy that. Luke 14:28
- Turn that off. Psalm. 46:10
- Read this book. Proverbs 9:9
- Pay for his lunch. Acts 20:35
- Ask his forgiveness. Matthew 5:23-24
- Text your friend. Proverbs 27:10
- Confront your friend. Proverbs 27:5-6
- Relax. Matthew 6:34
- Read your Bible. Psalm 119:97
- Ask for help. James 4:6
- Provide help. 1Cor. 15:1-3
What is the Spirit of God prompting you to do today?